HK Builds His Nest

HK Builds His Nest

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Sterling/HK Encounter: November 17, 2014

I arrived in the Honey Bee vicinity about 10:30am and located an eagle on the cell tower. It turned out to be Sterling.

She didn't stay long. So, with no eagles in sight, I started checking the towers down S. Independence Blvd. Nothing there, so on a whim, I drove to the nest. And.....there was an eagle on the tree who turned out to be HK.

He flew also, which is not that unusual. I was only able to take 4 photos.
After an hour or so, an eagle turned up back on the cell tower. But this one was HK. I was actually parked too close to see his feet at first, so I am grateful to my friend Linda, who was also there, and confirmed the id.

It was very windy, and HK had a hard time staying perched.

When HK started vocalizing, I knew something was about to happen!

Suddenly, HK lifted effortlessly off the tower! Needless to say, I was pretty happy how this photo turned out.

And then, there was Sterling! HK had given her his perch! What a gentleman!

HK hopped up behind her. They faced into the wind...like weather vanes. That's Sterling on the left, HK on the right.

And that's how I left them at 12:46pm. Simply a beautiful encounter, despite the wind and cloudy sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment