HK Builds His Nest

HK Builds His Nest

Monday, October 27, 2014

HK at Rosemont Forest Elementary School 10.26.14.

The only time I am comfortable taking my long lens on school property is after school hours and on weekends. So, on Sunday I thought I'd start looking for HK and/or Sterling there.
It was a beautiful afternoon, so after scanning the trees along the river and not spotting any Bald Eagles, I decided to walk the length of the field and back for a little exercise. There were a few Great Blue Herons, Great Egrets, and a whole bunch of sweet Bluebirds. As I neared the end of the property, I heard some Crows and turned to see what made them so noisy. I didn't see anything, so continued my walk. When I turned to begin my walk back to the car, is when I spotted HK. He was right in front of me....looking at me!

Even after 3 years of documenting his life, I still get flustered when I see him. He has a history of flying immediately after being approached. So, I didn't know quite what to do! So, I just sat down. And starting clicking.

HK's face was partially obstructed by leaves so the challenge was waiting for the breeze to move them out of the way. He scratched a bit.

I was pretty sure Jim and Shirley were out and about so I messaged them the location and they arrived within a few minutes. Typically, HK took off.

It was an awesome sighting to share with friends. HK gave us a circle, then dissappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment