HK Builds His Nest

HK Builds His Nest

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

HK has lunch. January 13, 2014

I arrived at HK's nest at 11:55 am. He was just beginning lunch. It appeared to be a squirrel. It took him 38 minutes to consume it. I had never been this close to an eagle feeding before. I found it surprisingly fascinating. This is nature. This is how wild things survive.


HK started chattering.

There was an eagle overhead. It was the banded female.

 Nothing materialized. HK finished his meal and began "feaking."

"Feaking" is the process Bald Eagles use to cleanse and grind their beaks. They rub the beak back and forth on a tree branch or other hard surface.  Again, fascinating to watch.

HK turned so I could get a good look at his "HK" purple band.

HK spread his wings and hopped into the nest.

I missed his departure because I was distracted by a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. But, that is another story.
Observation time: 2hours and 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment